The Alberta – NWT Command Service Office
The Service Office is the heart of The Royal Canadian Legion. The need to assist disabled veteran and families that lost loved ones was one of the core purposes of the original organization. As the organization evolved so did the Service Office, but its’ original purpose has never changed.
Today the Alberta – NWT Command Service Office assists:
- all veterans,
- still serving Canadian Forces members,
- Merchant Navy veterans
- past and present members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police,
- and dependents of the above.
Individuals do NOT have to be Legion members to be assisted.
The Service Office provides assistance with:
- processing disability and pension claims with Veterans Affairs. (Command Service Officers provide an alternative to Veterans Affairs’ staff.)
- advocate for improving services,
- investigate other support services, and
- access emergency funds for veterans, their dependents and currently serving families.
The Service Officers assist with claims under:
- Pension Act http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=services
- My VAC Account http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/information-for/caf/services-benefits
- Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca
- Veterans Review and Appeal Board (VRAB). – http://www.veterans.gc.ca/myvacaccount
The Alberta-NWT Command is committed to helping currently serving personnel and their dependents. Service Officers attend military establishments in the Command. They participate in military sponsored events, which include:
- Second Career Assistance Network,
- Long-Term Planning Seminars,
- Professional Development Training,
- Transition Meetings, and
- Career Fairs.
Command Service offices and Branch Service Officers can provide additional information on:
- LAST POST FUND
- SERVICE BENEVOLENT FUNDS
- Royal Canadian Navy Benevolent Fund
- Canadian Forces Personnel Assistance Fund
- Royal Canadian Air Force Benevolent Fund
- Allied or Commonwealth Benevolent Funds
- Poppy Fund Assistance
- Poliomyelitis Foundation
Command Service Officers can be contacted at either:
Calgary Service Office
2020 15th Street NW
Calgary, Alberta T2M 3N8
Edmonton Service Office:
10720A 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2S3